Electronic commerce is not limited only to Internet. In the context of inter-firm trade for many years are used networks. Electronic transactions also carry on mobile phone networks, where we’re talking about m-commerce (mobile commerce).
In a context of strong environmental constraints, the development of distance selling tends to transform the problems of logistics.
It can be distinguished different types of relationships in e-commerce:
- electronic exchange between private companies and the government, often called B2G, acronym of business to government ;
- electronic commerce between businesses, often called B2B, business to business acronym ;
- electronic exchange between a company and its employees, often called intranet or B2E, acronym for business to employee ;
- electronic commerce for individuals or B2C, the acronym of business to consumer; these are websites merchants ;
- electronic commerce between individuals, or C2C, the acronym of consumer- to-consumer; these websites allow the sale between individuals.