E-mail marketing is a form of direct marketing which uses electronic mail as a means of communicating commercial or fundraising messages to an audience. In its broadest sense, every e-mail sent to a potential or current customer could be considered e-mail marketing. However, the term is usually used to refer to:
- Sending e-mails with the purpose of enhancing the relationship of a merchant with its current or old customers and to encourage customer loyalty and repeat business.
- Sending e-mails with the purpose of acquiring new customers or convincing old customers to buy something immediately.
- Adding advertisements in e-mails sent by other companies to their customers.
Researchers estimate that as of 2004 the E-mail Marketing industry’s revenues has surpassed the $1 billion/yr mark.
- E-mail marketing article on About.com
- SpamCon Foundation
- Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail
- DIRECT Magazine – E-mail Marketing
Video: Successful Email Marketing – How It’s Done