Choose a title that effectively communicates the topic of the page’s content.
- choosing a title that has no relation to the content on the page
- using default or vague titles like “Untitled” or “New Page 1”
Create unique title tags for each page
Each of your pages should ideally have a unique title tag, which helps Google know how the page is distinct from the others on your site.
- using a single title tag across all of your site’s pages or a large group of pages
Use brief, but descriptive titles
Titles can be both short and informative. If the title is too long, Google will show only a portion of it in the search result.
- using extremely lengthy titles that are unhelpful to users
- stuffing unneeded keywords in your title tags
- The anatomy of a search result: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/11/anatomy-of-search-result.html
- Diagram of a Google search results page: http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?answer=35891
CC License – See details and download