If you are a new WordPress user and do not know where to start, this article will guide you step by step to a good start with WordPress. Remember that, if you need help, many opportunities are available for assistance. Welcome to the fascinating world of WordPress!
After installing WordPress and completing the path step by step, you should consider making your first installation of the plugins with WordPress Plugin Directory. This tool allows you to search from your WordPress admin panel. Clicking on one of the search results will open it in a new window or tab for you to have the corresponding article or subject open while you work on WordPress. This will make your transition to WordPress much easier with all the information at hand.
Before you invest your valuable time and energy in installing WordPress, there are some documents you should read. WordPress is an excellent product; easy to use, powerful, but it is not necessarily the content publishing tool that suits everyone. Just like building a house, you must use the right tool for the right action.
Make a plan
From the information you have just read, including WordPress installation instructions, you should have a list of what you need to have and to do. If not, make that list now!
Here’s what you need:
- Requirements at the Hosting checked
- Required versions of PHP and MySQL verified
- Your username and FTP account passwords and the database of your site
- A text editor
- An FTP Client
- Your favorite web browser
It is important to make a plan for how you want to use WordPress on your site. Here are some questions to ask you. Make a list of your answers to integrate it to your plan.
- Will you install WordPress in the root directory of your site, in a subdirectory, or do you just make a test mini-site to ensure that WordPress is for you?
- Have you made a list of the categories of your site? You have to understand that WordPress can only sort categories alphabetically or by their identifier (order of entry into the form Manage > Categories, so if the display order of your categories is important to you, start by making a list.
- Have you made a list of the pages you wish to add to your site, such as About this site, Contact or Events?
With this information and your plan, it is now time to install WordPress.
Once your installation is complete, it’s time to configure WordPress to function as desired. While you change many parameters, it is advisable to frequently see the impact they can have by clicking the link View site in administration panel. Although you can choose to make these changes in any order, your site will ask you fewer problems if you proceed in the following order:
- Manage your blog
- Users > Your Profile – Define the user information you want to see published on your site
- Users > Users & Authors – Add authors and users that will use your site, if necessary
- Settings > General – define the name of your site and other information
- Settings > Writing – configure the screen for writinf articles
- Settings > Reading – Define how many items should be displayed on the home page, in categories and your file parameters
- Settings > Discussion – Enable or disable the comments and choose how to manage
- Posts > Categories – Add some categories to begin your list
- Posts > Articles – After writing a few articles, this is where you will manage them by editing or deleting
- Appearance > Themea – maybe you want to change the theme of your site?
- Pages > Add New – Add a page or two as About or Contact Me
- Posts > Add New – start adding content to your website
Take time to explore the documentation for WordPress in the official website.
Appearance and Themes
With the new versions of WordPress, changing the design of your WordPress site is possible in just a few clicks.
At this point, you may feel some trouble about the choice of theme, or you really want to understand how is working WordPress Themes.
If you want to use a custom WordPress Theme created especially for you by an experienced web design, we recommend that you contact over the internet or in your local community.
Add New Plugins
There are many additional scripts and programs for WordPress called Plugins that add functionality and options to your WordPress site. Plugins can do many things, including customizing the information published on the web site, add weather reports, spell checkers, etc …
Translated from wordpress.org