The definition of Information Technology Management, derived from the definition of Technology Management by Michael K. Badawy (Virginia Tech), is as follows:
Information Technology Management is concerned with exploring and understanding Information Technology as a corporate resource that determines both the strategic and operational capabilities of the firm in designing and developing products and services for maximum customer satisfaction, corporate productivity, profitability and competitiveness.
IT Management is a different subject from Management Information Systems. Management Information Systems refer to information management methods tied to the automation or support of human decision making.  IT Management, as stated in the above definition, refers to the IT related management activities in organizations.
List of IT Management disciplines
- Business/IT alignment
- IT Governance
- IT Financial Management
- IT Service Management
- ^ M.K. Badawy (1998), Technology Management Education: Alternative Models. California Management Review. 40 (4), pp. 94–115
- ^ O’Brien, J (1999). Management Information Systems – Managing Information Technology in the Internetworked Enterprise. Boston: Irwin McGraw-Hill. ISBN 0071123733.
- ^ 28 Nov. 2008 http://www.gartner.com/it/products/research/topics/topics.jsp
- ^ 28 Nov. 2008 http://www.gartner.com/it/products/research/research_services.jsp
- ^ McKeen, James D., and Smith, Heather A., Making IT Happen: Critical Issues in IT Management, Wiley Series in Information Systems, 2003
- ^ CIO Wisdom: Best Practise from Silicon Valley’s Leading IT Experts, Lane, D. (ed), Prentice Hall 2004