» » » » Institutions, monuments and sights in Bucharest

Institutions, monuments and sights in Bucharest

 (The interior of Parliament House, https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi%C8%99ier:EPP_Congress_2364_(8096729413).jpg)

In Bucharest are located the Parliament (House of Parliament or House of the People), the Government, and the Romanian Presidency. Also there are located numerous cultural institutions, such as the Romanian Academy (founded in 1866), more than 60 research institutes, University, Polytechnic Institute, Institute of Medicine, numerous other higher education institutions, large libraries (Academy Library, founded in 1867, about 8 million volumes, National Library, founded in 1955, 7 million volumes, Central University Library, founded in 1896, 2 million volumes, burned during the Revolution of 1989), etc.

Major parks in the city are Herastrau (187 ha), Cismigiu Park (13 ha) inaugurated in 1860, the Youth Park (200 ha) and Carol Park (36 ha) inaugurated in 1906.

Architecture

 (Old Yard, https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi%C8%99ier:Curtea_Veche_1.jpg)

Medieval Bucharest substance was in time severely affected by the destruction and fires. In addition, the city has tragically lost a number of monuments, especially churches, and during the “urban” campaign initiated in the last century by Nicolae Ceausescu. From the medieval core of the city on the banks of Dambovita were preserved vestiges of the Old Court (sec. XV – XVI) with the Royal Church of the Annunciation, which probably dates from the time of Mircea Shepherd (1545-1554). The church has a conch, its nave is highlighted by a spire. Moldovan facade betrays some influences but made up of rows of brick masonry alternating with portions covered by mortar, imitating stone facing, already belongs to the typical forms of the Romanian Country‘s architecture. Western portal with Brancovenian baroque decorations was placed later in 1715 during the brief reign of Stefan Cantacuzino. In proscomidiar have been preserved mural paintings from the time of building and 1714-1715, and the rest of the church houses murals by the academic artists Constantin Lecca and Misu Popp in 1852. The tower was replaced in 1914.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *