London Assembly is the elected body of the Greater London Authority. It controls the activities of the Mayor of London, and has the power through a two-thirds majority to amend the annual budget adopted by the mayor. This assembly was created in 2000 and headquartered in the City of London hotel.
Besides the fact that once a month it questions the mayor on his public sessions, the Assembly also has the power to investigate issues of importance to Londoners, and to publish its findings and recommendations, or make proposals to the mayor.
The London Assembly consists of 25 members elected by the mixed system. Elections are held every four years, at the same time as those used to designate the mayor. Each of the 14 districts elects one MP, while the other 11 members are elected on party lists in proportion to the votes each list received on the whole of London, knowing that a party must win at least 5% of votes to gain seats.
Parties: Labor, Conservative, Green, Liberal Democrats, UKIP. BNP
The president and vice president are elected by all Assembly members every year in May and remain in office for a year.
The 14 constituencies are as follows:
- No. >>> Constituency >>> District
- 1 >>> Barnet and Camden >>> Barnet and Camden
- 2 >>> Bexley and Bromley >>> Bexley and Bromley
- 3 >>> Brent and Harrow >>> Brent and Harrow
- 4 >>> City and East >>> Barking and Dagenham, London City, Newham and Hamlets Tower
- 5 >>> Croydon and Sutton >>> Croydon and Sutton
- 6 >>> Ealing and Hillingdon >>> Ealing and Hillingdon
- 7 >>> Enfield and Haringey >>> Enfield and Haringey
- 8 >>> Greenwich and Lewisham >>> Greenwich and Lewisham
- 9 >>> Havering and Redbridge >>> Havering and Redbridge
- 10 >>> Lambeth and Southwark >>> Lambeth and Southwark
- 11 >>> Merton and Wandsworth >>> Merton and Wandsworth
- 12 >>> North East >>> Hackney, Islington and Waltham Forest
- 13 >>> South West >>> Hounslow, Kingston upon Thames and Richmond upon Thames
- 14 >>> West Central >>> Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster City