Past year was marked by the supremacy of Facebook, with almost 2 billion members, and his older or newer acquisitions (WhatsApp and Messenger with more than 1,2 billion users each one, and Instagram with more than 200 millions daily users)
Google is still a major player in social media with Google+ and YouTube, as well as Twitter that remains mainly the social media of journalists and powerful people (even if it is 6 times smaller than Facebook).
Fred Cavazza consider 6 principal categories of social media:
- Blogging (WordPress, Blogger, TypePad, Medium, Wix, Weebly, Ghost, SquareSpace…), wiki Wikipedia, Wikia…) and hybrid (Tumblr, MySpace…)
- Video (YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion), live streaming (Twitch, Periscope), documents ((SlideShare, Scribd…), database (data.world), photo (Instagram, Flickr, Imgur, Giphy, 500px…), inspiration (Pinterest, Behance, Dribbble…), music (Spotify, Deezer, Pandora, SoundCloud…)
- Messages: mobile (WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, SnapChat, iMessage, BBM, Android Message, Allo, Duo, Telegram, Signal, Skype, Kik, Viber, Tango…), visual (Tribe, TapTalk), classic Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo Mail)
- Conversations (Slack, HipChat, Chime, TalkSpirit, Facebook Workplace, Hangouts Chat, Meet, Microsoft Teams…), comments (Disqus, Muut, Discourse, GraphComment…) and Q&A (Quora, StackExchange, Ask…)
- Messages: professional (Slack, HipChat, Chime, TalkSpirit, Facebook Workplace, Hangouts Chat, Meet, Microsoft Teams…) and collaboration (Yammer, Chatter, Dropbox, Evernote…)
- Social networks: professional (LinkedIn, Viadeo, Xing, Plaxo…), niche (Ning, Nextdoor, Houzz…), dating (Badoo, OKcupid, Tinder, Bumble, Happn…) and events (Meetup, Eventbrite)
The analyze notices the intensification of the past tendencies: smartphone used most of the time, users favorize short articles and visual content, the rise of live video, story format in social media, and the coming back of social commerce.
Although advertisers recognize the increasing importance of social media, the budget allocated for this kind of campaigns is till low (5-10%).